and Crime Prevention Advice
Don't make your home obvious to burglars
- With the shorter days, you are likely to be returning home from work in the dark. Use timer switches on lights to make your home look occupied
- Don't give burglars a window of opportunity, fit and use good quality locks on doors and windows
- Keep valuables and keys in a safe place and out of sight
- Exterior lighting is a good deterrent, fit low wattage 'dusk to dawn' lighting on outside walls in dark areas
- Mark your valuables with your house number and postcode
- Sheds and garages are often neglected when it comes to security. Use strong padlocks, and if possible fasten ladders and expensive items down in the garage
- Check your perimeter security, keeping intruders out of the vulnerable area at the back. Ensure fencing is high enough to deter thieves together with high gates, bolted and padlocked on the inside
Be safe be seen
- When it gets dark in the late afternoon and also at night make sure you can be seen when out, wear high visibility clothing and stay in well-lit areas.
This advice courtesy of Crawley Borough Council.